Organic v.s Conventional Foods: “You Are What You Eat”

Many people do not really know the difference between organic and conventional foods.  My goal with this post is to explain what really makes foods organic, and the benefits they provide, as opposed to conventionally grown foods.

First off, any food is organic when it is naturally grown on organic farms without any type of pesticides or additives in the crops, or fed to the animals.  In fact, an average conventional apple contains about 30 different pesticides.  The pesticides that are used in conventional farming are linked to cause cancer, obesity, Alzheimer’s, and some birth defects.  It is also important to note that organic foods contain 50% more nutrients than conventionally grown foods.  Sure, conventionally grown foods help feed the nation with a mass production of crops, but are the chemicals  and pesticides that go into our bodies, the air, water, and soil really worth the risk?

Only foods that are truly organic will have this logo.

Secondly, I want to clarify the cost of organic foods.  Yes, it is true that SOME types of organic foods can be more expensive than conventional foods.  But it all depends on where you make your purchases.  If you buy organic foods at a regular supermarket like Giant Eagle or Kroger, you are going to pay more.  But if you do a little research you will find that organic foods can end up costing the same.  Going to a local farmers market or joining a co op will help you save money on organic foods.

Mountain People’s market co-op

Keep in mind that the reason why organic foods cost more is because the work done on organic farms is more laborious and time consuming.  Organic farmers do not receive federal subsidies like conventional farmers do.  Also, the cost of conventional farming obviously does not reflect the actual costs that conventional farming takes toll on the environment.

So not only are organic foods a better choice for your body and farm animals, but also to the environment.  Organic farming reduces runoff pollution from the sprays used on crops to keep away insects.  Top soil erosion is also reduced due to the lack of chemical intensive farming.  Try to keep in mind that only 0.5% of farming land is organic.  The other 99.5% of farms pose a risk to the environment, for you and for future generations to come.

So remember…you are what you eat!  Organic foods are better for your body.  If you don’t believe me, I recommend you start reading a few articles about people who have chosen to go organic.  You’ll more than likely hear about the positive effects their bodies have had since switching to organic.  I have personally been purchasing organic groceries for the last few months and I have noticed a change in my own body.  I have more energy throughout the day, and I am able to wake up earlier.  I don’t go completely organic because I am still a student, so it’s a little difficult, but everything I cook at home is organic.

One last thing to remember is that eating organic also helps out local farmers who work two or three times as hard as conventional farmers do.  Farm animals are fed natural foods, and are free roam in spacious areas as opposed to being caged and kept in small spaces. The land that we live and thrive on can be an environmentally safer world with the reduction of pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, and insecticides out of the soil and air.

Advertisements

About tonicekada

I am a junior print journalism major at West Virginia University. I have two minors in Italian and fitness.
This entry was posted in Benefits to healthy living. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Organic v.s Conventional Foods: “You Are What You Eat”

  1. Bethany says:

    What sources did you use when writing “The pesticides that are used in conventional farming are linked to cause cancer, obesity, Alzheimer’s, and some birth defects.” ? I have been trying to find a peer-reviewed journal article saying this same thing, but have failed to find one yet. The majority of the food I eat is organic and locally grown, but I’m trying to convince my obese family to do the same.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s